Many industries are forced by law to submit all their employees to drug testing. Many of these companies would drug test their employees whether they were or were not a Department of Transportation regulated industry. Many of our clients for whom we supply drug and alcohol testing are not regulated by the DOT. Both types of clients recognize the benefits of drug and alcohol testing employees. Alcohol and drug use among employees can be an expensive problem for business and industry with issues ranging from lost productivity, absenteeism, injuries, fatalities, theft and low employee morale to an increase in health care, legal liabilities and workers’ compensation costs. Over 70% of illicit drug users in the United States are employed.
Here are just a few of the reasons you should consider testing your employees on a regular basis:
- IMPROVED SAFETY. The most important reason to implement a drug testing program is to improve safety in the workplace and prevent unfortunate accidents. This is especially important in safety-sensitive positions such as those in transportation, construction, healthcare, engineering, and manufacturing. Testing your employees for illegal drugs can go a long way to prevent accidents in the work place and when your employees are out in public with customers or innocent people. According to OSHA, 65% of workplace accidents are caused by substance abuse and employees who abuse drugs file 6 times more workers’ compensation claims.
- SAVE MONEY. Absenteeism will increase your health care costs, and decreased productivity will most certainly affect your company’s revenue. Alcoholics and problem drinkers are absent from work 3.8 to 8.3 times more often than non-alcoholics. Illegal drug and prescription drug abusers are absent from work an average of five days per month due to drug use. According to the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence Inc. (NCADD), drug abuse costs U.S. employers $81 billion annually.
- WORKPLACE CRIME REDUCTION. Drug abuse has been linked to crime in the workplace. Employers and employees experience stolen property, violence, and fraudulent medical claims. If your company is experiencing these sorts of problems, consider using a drug testing program to curtail any drug abuse, potentially decreasing crime as well. Missouri OnSite Testing offers many different testing programs.
- INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY. Companies with drug testing programs and policies typically notice an increase in productivity. Employees are more focused, tend to miss less days of work, are more punctual, and frequently stay at their jobs for longer periods of time. Establishing a drug testing program also helps narrow down qualified drug free candidates for job openings within your company.
- IMPROVED EMPLOYEE HEALTH. An effective drug testing program can produce a healthier workplace. Employees in good health will miss fewer days, have fewer injuries, and add to the morale of the workplace. In this way, the plan will benefit both employees and employers.